PDA

View Full Version : Kurosawa

Jack D
07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Hello all,

Would anyone here be able to help me?
How or where would I get an estimate of my guitars value?
I'm having a difficult time researching it.
I got it 30 years ago as a gift from my parents,
when I was taking classical lessons,(with a teacher
who studied with Segovia, no less).

It is a Kurosawa, Julian C-120, made in 1973.

It looks like he made some fine instruments,
and it sounds wonderful. But I cant find info on it.
I would appreciate any direction. I'm only thinking of
selling it because of financial considerations forcing me
to sell everything I own.
Thanks,
Jack D

Sandra
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi, Jack, and welcome to the GSI forums!

Sorry to hear about your financial situation. Times are tough for a lot of us these days. :(

Your profile doesn't say where you're located and I'm not familiar with that luthier, although that doesn't mean diddly. :p Your best bet is to contact a reputable dealer in high-end guitars.

But don't be surprised if it's not worth the small fortune you are hoping for. Older doesn't necessarily mean more valuable if it's not some kind of highly desirable/collectible.

I'll just make up some numbers here for the sake of argument. Say the guitar sold new for $1K all those years ago and today a new guitar made to the same standards might go for $4K. I'm guessing you'd be lucky to get $2K (or less) for it.

Perhaps Dave or Tim from GSI can chime in.

Out of curiosity, who did you study with?

JSK
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Looks like GSI's own Dave Tate has more than a glancing familiarity with Kurosawa.

http://forum.guitarsalon.com/showthread.php?t=8714

keith
08-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Jack D: The only Kurosawa guitar I know of from the 70's era is a Japanese maker who made copies of spanish guitars, principally Jose Ramirez. I only know of this because Sherry Brenner has/had 2 flamenco guitars with a label Kurosawa. Sherry claimed to me that Kurosawa was an apprentice to Jose Ramirez III which we all know is bogus beyond belief. I suspect Kurosawa sawed apart a Ramirez and then copied it--I guess that would make him an apprentice in the Bizarro world. As to the price of those two flamenco guitars he has/had I would not even want to give you any high hopes as his prices often had no reflection in reality.

Whether Julian and Tetsuo are related is beyond me. I suspect iberianwolf would have more info about these two.

Tim Miklaucic
08-02-2008, 03:04 PM
The guitar referred to above was a factory guitar made by a small Japanese factory owned by Mr. Kurosawa. He remains in business, but as the owner of a music store chain in Japan. To the best of my knowledge, this factory made some or all of the guitars of dubious distinction for Jim Sherry in the 60's and 70's.

The Kurosawa guitar referred to by Sandra is an individually handcrafted instrument made by a young Japanese maker of the same name. If I remember well, they are related.

Tim

Jack D
08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi,
Thank you all for your replies.
I am in the Los Angeles area.
My instructor 30 yrs ago was Joel Valdivia at the Guitar Shop in Long Beach.
Said he had lived in Spain & studied with Segovia several yrs before.
He was an older gentleman then. Don't know if he's still around.
I'll try checking with a high end dealer like you said.
Thanks again,
Jack

Gojira
08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Kurosawa, Tsunesaburo was as a luthier but in 1967 he started a business and now the owner of a large music store chain in Japan.

Kurosawa, Sumio study making guitar under Tsunesaburo his uncle from 1958 and moved to Spain in 1963. He studied with Aguado for a couple years and returned to Japan. Now, he is a leading luthier in Japan.

Kurosawa, Tetsuo is a son of Sumio. After graduating from high school, he studied with his father for a while and in 1997 traveled to Spain and studied with Tezanos Perez and Antonio Marin. He began his career as a luthier after returning from Spain in 1999.