PDA

View Full Version : The Classial Guitar in the Philippines

rumin
02-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi! I just want to express what i feel about the state of classical guitar practice here in my country. I think I'm the only Filipino here in this forum. It is somehow quite sad to think that there are not many classical guitarists here. We, the Filipino classical gutiarists, are somehow few in my country. I think there aren't even any classical guitar societies here. I would like to start one but i can't find any members. I hope our community of classical guitarists here would somehow grow.
That's all i have to say. Im sorry for using this forum in expressing my sympathy.

sseow
02-26-2004, 02:55 AM
rumin.... :( :( :( we r probably not anyway better than u in philippines.... fellow asian, we must keep our heads high...let's hope 4 a better 2morrow
seow
singapore

chaz
02-26-2004, 09:28 PM
How about this? We all pool our money together, buy an island, and only let CGers live there. That would be a very genuine Classical guitar society! Hope things pick up where you guys live. It's sad to see the classical guitar tradition lagging anywhere. Maybe you guys could be missionaries of sorts and try to convert all your neighbors to play CG.

-chaz

et041053
02-27-2004, 03:12 AM
Rumin...Kabayan don't despair there are lots of us in hiding :o , it is just that most of us can't afford to buy a decent guitar. Once I asked my sister who also loves playing CG to buy me a decent sounding guitar which happens to cost around 1000 dollarsand she replied " A thousand dollars for a guitar is too expensive to be a hobby!" (There goes my Asturias) :(

Do u have the scores for "Dahil sa isang bulaklak" my teacher 15 years ago played it and I love it.

Chaz... i do not think it is a good idea to just let all the CG in one island, who will do the cooking , the cleaning the dishes and the hard labor when everyone or almost everyone of us is afraid to "break a nail!"

:lol:

rumin
02-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Kabayan! Im very happy to find a countryman here! :P saan ka sa pilipinas?
You're right. It is really hard to find a decent guitar in our country. It is even hard to find sheet music for our instrument here.
Sorry pare pero wala ako nung piece na tinutukoy mo.
Anyway, im really glad to find you here.
Taga saan ka?

edwardcav
02-27-2004, 06:53 PM
:shock:

et041053
02-28-2004, 12:32 AM
From Manila. Too bad u do not have the piece I mentioned I think UP has a guitar society .madaming libre sheet music sa Net. Type in Dirk's guitar page at Yahoo. See Ya and more power!

Edwardcav :mrgreen:

PCV
02-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Hi. On the contrary to what you guys are saying, there are a lot of classical guitarists/enthusiasts in our country. You just have to know where to find them. The 3 major guitar schools (Philippine Women's University, University of the Philippines and the University of Sto. Tomas) will be a good place to start. We also had a guitar society a long time ago (Philippine Guitar Society, circa 1970's-80's). Right now, we're in the process of putting up a new one. It's already registered in the SEC but we're still working on some details. There's also an active guitar society in Cebu (Cebu Guitar Foundation). Regarding the piece "Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak," I believe it's included in my teacher's book, The Philippine Guitar by Jose Valdez. You can also buy guitars from makers such as Raul Manikan, Armando Derecho, Bebot Allegre (Cebu) and Dominguez Javier (Cebu).

et041053
02-29-2004, 11:25 PM
thanks for the info I might just buy one online. How are the guitars made by Filipino Luthiers are they good , how much does it cost and what materials are used, do u own one? Just curious. :roll:

rumin
03-01-2004, 03:33 AM
hi pcv! Thanks for the info. Please inform me about the society your forming. i would be much interested to know how to join the society. by the way, im from the university of the philippines but not diliman. im from up los banos. thanks again for the info. and also for the filipino guitar makers. but where are their shops located?

PCV
03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
I think the book "The Philippine Guitar" by Jose Valdez is available at National Bookstore. If you're having a hard time finding it, then just drop by the PWU College of Music. We're still selling it at the office. It's more expensive on-line. About the guitar makers, the most active right now are Armando "Tabo" Derecho (02)9982548 and Fernando "Bebbot" Alegre of Cebu 4957658. Raul Manikan used to make a lot of guitars. But as of now, his production is quite limited due to the lack of workers. He makes excellent guitars. The same situation with Dominguez Javier. I used to own a few Manikans and 2 Javiers. Generally, you can specify the materials that you want (Spruce, Cedar, Indian Rosewood, etc.). The cost ranges from P20,000-P45,000.

rumin
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
thanks agian for the info and phone number pcv.
they still have "The Philippine Guitar" at the National Bookstores.
anyway, thanks for the info pcv. nice to hear from you. :D

RMM
03-19-2004, 12:46 PM
:D I am also a classical guitar player from the Philippines and regularly visits this website. I logged into this forum because PCV's message about the SEC registration of a guitar society in the Philippines caught my attention. It is funny because before I left for the US, I remember registering a guitar society with the SEC, I just do not know if this is it; I cannot remember the name anymore.

Anyway, classical guitar is alive in the Philippines, It is just that we players do not get together and organize ourselves. I feel very proud of our guitar players in the Philippines kasi nakita kong magperform ang ibang players dito sa New York, at hindi pahuhuli ang mga gitarista natin sa galing. May partida pa nga tayo kasi as you say, we cannot afford expensive guitars na kagaya ng mga performers dito. Sayang at hindi sila nabibigyan ng break na mag-perform sa ibang bansa kung saan ma-appreciate ang talento nila ng husto. BTW, we have a Filipino flamenco player who is doing well in Spain.

All the makers PCV gave you are good. I don't think Javier still makes guitar nowadays, which is sayang, but I heard Bebot Alegre sells reasonably-priced and good guitars. Joe Valdez's book is a must-have for any Filipino classical guitar player. I am proud to be one of his students.

rumin
03-19-2004, 08:26 PM
It's really nice to hear from Filipino classical players in this forum. your right. maybe the problem for us classical guitarists here in the Philippines is that we dont have gatherings or get together activities. our cg community here is not that organized. your right. there are really good classical guitar players in our country. anyway, what's the name of the Filipino Flamenco player in Spain?

et041053
03-20-2004, 03:09 PM
RMM are u a teacher now in New York? Are u a UP grad ? Anong clase guitara na ma e reomenda mo ?

RMM
03-20-2004, 07:37 PM
I am not a teacher, I am a student of Prof. Joe Valdez in the Philippines. I am here in New York for a job assignment and will be back attending classical guitar lessons in Manila by July of this year.

The Filipino flamenco player is Adolfo Timuat Toyoda. He is also a student of Prof. Joe and now based in Madrid. He will be performing at the Lincoln Center here in New York in June of this year. Adolfo visits Manila once in while and gives flamenco lessons at UP.

As for the guitar I can recommend, try Bebot Alegre's guitars. I have seen and played one, and it is good. Another option, if you are serious, will be for you to ask around for second-hand Spanish guitars coming out once in a while in Manila. Just recently, I heard about a second-hand Ramirez being on sale. Just send me your email address and I can give you the details on this.

rumin
03-21-2004, 12:30 AM
hey RMM, thanks for the info. by the way, Im also interested about the second hand Spanish guitars. pls send me the details bout it. here's my email ad: rmanayan@yahoo.com

PCV
03-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi RMM. I was also a former student of Jose Valdez in PWU. Are you taking your lessons in St. Scho? Chances are, we've already met. I don't know if we're talking about the same guitar society, if I'm not mistaken, it was registered last year. Adolfo Timuat is a friend of mine. I guess he'll be back in the Philippines around Aug. The last time he was here, He did a lot of lectures about the Flamenco Guitar and even guitar contruction. By the way, I'd like to inform everyone that the Ars Nova Guitar Quartet will have a concert on April 4 at the Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies (AIIAS). That's in Silang Cavite. Show starts around 7 PM. I'm a member of the group. We're going to play a variety of pieces, from Baroque, Ethnic, Filipino Classics to Chick Corea. I hope you can all come. Maybe we can chat after the concert. See you there! :D

rumin
03-21-2004, 10:51 PM
I hope I could come to your concert.
Good luck!
It's nice that your playing Chick Corea! :D
I think I'll watch! :D
Good Luck!

RMM
03-26-2004, 12:10 PM
PCV-Yes, I am student of Prof. Joe at St. Scho. I spoke with him last week, and it seems we are referring to the same classical guitar society. Are you Phil or Perf?

Speaking of guitars, I am right now looking for some fine guitar woods, and there are actually a lot of them available here in the US, but I would like to try the more exotic ones like Macassar Ebony, Cocobolo or Madagascar Rosewood. Any idea whether our own luthiers would agree to make guitars from materials that are supplied by the customer? I am thinking of getting Bebot Alegre to work on it.

I really want to own a fine guitar handcrafted by a Filipino luthier but made of excellent woods. They are also world class, it is just that they have limited number of excellent woods to work on, and humidity is another thing that is hard to control. I have seen a flamenco made by Boy Solano from imported woods, and super ganda ang tunog. Another one made by Demet also sounded very good.

Good luck on your concert. Too bad I cannot come to see it, but I will come to know all your concerts when we begin organizing the society hopefully soon.

PCV
03-26-2004, 07:14 PM
RMM, this is Phil. Maybe you can contact Armando "Tabo" Derecho (9982548) regarding the guitar. I've tried a couple of his guitars already. Another option is Raul Manikan (7764643). I hope you'll be here in time for our next concert. We're planning to involve the society and make it as an opening project.

Rumin, can you find a way to change the title of this thread? The word "classical" is mispelled. This discussion/forum is getting popular. Hope to see you in the concert. :)

Perf_de_Castro
03-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi all!

Here's a little sample of the guitar quartet me and Phil are part of. Taken from our last concert.

www.skyinet.net/~soldecastro/spain2.wmv

Kindly pardon the video and audio quality. This was taken from a handheld videocam then compressed to a size that my measly 28.8kbps dial up internet connection can handle.

Do check us out when you're able!

Warm regards,
PERF
http://www.perfdecastro.com

RMM
03-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Phil-this is Rey Marcelo. We have not met before but I know you to be one of the best students of Prof. Joe. My wife knows your sister Clarence as she is a former officemate.

Perf-I cannot open the video but the audio is fine. I hope you and the other guitar performers in the country can come out with more downloadable video presentations so that the whole world can get a glimpse of what the Filipino artist can offer.

Let us keep those messages and videos coming . . . . . .

TranquilBlast
03-28-2004, 03:14 AM
hey guys. it's nice to see fellow pinoys in a guitar forum. it's really quite a rarity. anyways, i'm really interested to learn classical guitar but unfortunately i haven't got the time yet. when i get back home (i'm in ksa right now), i'd like to enrol in PWU primarily because it's near to our house.

so, is there any required level that the student should be in before he can be admitted? will there be some sort of audition? another thing, how long will the course usually take?

thanks guys!

*perf* hey man i watched your triaxis show before at mayric's, i love the guitar solo you did with one hand and the other hand getting the cigarette and lighting it up, all at the same time. cool...

Perf_de_Castro
04-01-2004, 05:37 AM
so, is there any required level that the student should be in before he can be admitted? will there be some sort of audition? another thing, how long will the course usually take?

Auditions are for level placement. Ideally you should be at least level 4a when you enter PWU but they accept even total CG beginners. The downside is you'll probably double the duration of your course as there are 8 levels for a bachelor's degree and it's usually 1 level per year.

*perf* hey man i watched your triaxis show before at mayric's, i love the guitar solo you did with one hand and the other hand getting the cigarette and lighting it up, all at the same time. cool...

Agh! My past has come to haunt me! hehehe :) You just reminded me of something I rarely do nowadays (which is play electric) and another thing that I stopped doing (I quit smoking na)

Good luck to you, man!

PERF

Perf_de_Castro
04-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Hi all!
Here's a link to a piece I wrote for guitar quartet.

http://web.tri-isys.com/ogietone/amianan.wmv

Amianan is an Ilocano word meaning "North"

The different sections emulate the sounds of different brass and bamboo instruments of the tribes in the Northern Part of the Philippines. In no particular order:

SULING = bamboo flute
TONGALI = nose flute
TONGATONG = bamboo stamping tubes
BUNGKAKA = bamboo buzzer
GANG-SA = brass gongs

The middle section is an adaptation of the folk melody "SALIDUM-AY", which is a welcoming song of the tribes.

One can imagine a trek up the mountains of Northern Philippines with the sounds of the bamboo instruments drawing the senses in. The gang-sa section signals the the pace of the trek and the journey is afoot. Then a clearing is reached and the trek stops to rest while soothed by the strains of the "Salidum-ay". After the rest, the gang-sa once again sets the pace and the journey is continued.

The piece is influenced by the works of Philippine National Artist for Music Dr. Lucrecia R. Kasilag, and composers Dr. Francisco Feliciano and Maestro Chino Toledo.

*** file size is a little over 8mb ***

Warm regards,
PERF DE CASTRO

TranquilBlast
04-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Auditions are for level placement. Ideally you should be at least level 4a when you enter PWU but they accept even total CG beginners. The downside is you'll probably double the duration of your course as there are 8 levels for a bachelor's degree and it's usually 1 level per year.

8 levels? wow, i had no idea! maybe you and the guys (the other classical guitar players who replied here :) ) can give me a idea of what's in store for conservatory of music graduates? is there a good (read: lucrative) future for classical musicians? actually i seriously contemplating on taking this up despite the fact that my present career is on an entirely different discipline. i really feel that the guitar (and music) is really my true calling... that's the main reason.

Agh! My past has come to haunt me! hehehe :) You just reminded me of something I rarely do nowadays (which is play electric) and another thing that I stopped doing (I quit smoking na)

i read on the dawn forums that you were jammed with mon and atsushi. did you have other shows after that? sayang, can't go to see them. it's good you quit smoking already welcome to the club of quitters.. smoking that is hehe. hey, didn't you used to know cyrel mondarte? he's a friend of mine who's a bosconian too. he used to be my bandmate but now he's in singapore.

anyway, good luck din sa yo parekoy!

rumin
04-04-2004, 07:34 PM
sali naman ako if ever maorganize niyo na. thanks. :D

PinoyPaganini
04-05-2004, 08:13 AM
First Of All,

Mga Pre, its good to have a thread such as this!
Keep it alive!

Bit of a Background on me:
I feel akward saying this in a CG forum, I'm actually an Electric player.
Malmsteen, Macalpine, Moore ( Vinnie ) fan. Never learned to read
notes, just memorized scale paterns and intervals on the fretboard.
Those "flying saucers" on the staff just turned me off since my 1st
summer courses at Yamaha. But that was more than 15 years ago.
Now there's TABS on the net and MIDI files. I play everything by ear.
Just starting on some simple classical pieces, yun mga
basic Em and Am plucking. In the future I'd like to play the more
difficult pieces, particularly the fast finger picking pieces. I got interested
in Classical because I want to learn how real virtuosos construct their
compositions. I also want to learn speed finger picking and be as proficient
as I am with a pick. Funny thing is whenever I switch back to playing
electric it feels incredibly easier.

PERF your one of the country's BEST. I saw you play at Gilbert's
clinic. Of all the guys who played with him on stage you seemed
the only one who played with confidence. Very impressive.

Guitars. I have three electrics and a cheap steel acoustic. Getting a
Classical. There's this guy i got in touch with from Antipolo, goes
by the name of "tata". I think this is Manikan. Planning to order
Spruce from the US, tapos have him make me a hot rodded student
model. I'll be asking advice concerning this in the future.

Hi to all you Pinoy Classicados.
And please anounce any Classical
or acoustic virtuoso events.

Perf_de_Castro
04-06-2004, 10:29 AM
TRANQUILBLAST:

is there a good (read: lucrative) future for classical musicians?

Well.... how do I say this? I'm doing this for the love of the guitar, I get my income somewhere else. But there's the occasional classical gig pays quite well but those are few and far between.

However, if we raise the interest for classical guitar and guitar music, I'm pretty sure a market will develop from there. My point of view is that too many guitarists take the "safe" route: teach, play in showbands, play malls/dinner shows/background music gigs..... etc. Thee's the need for Pinoy Concert Classical Guitarists so that works may be composed, concerts be played and CDs be recorded. AS of the moment, a lot of guys are contented with playing Portico and Rockwell Power Plant and taking the role of a wedding guitarist. Sad state of affairs for the Concert Classical Guitar scene.

If one strives to be the best in any field, the means for making a living will always present itself.

PinoyPaganini:

PERF your one of the country's BEST. I saw you play at Gilbert's
clinic. Of all the guys who played with him on stage you seemed
the only one who played with confidence. Very impressive.

Thanks for the kind words! Based on your screen name, I can bet you're a monster player yourself! :wink:

There's this guy i got in touch with from Antipolo, goes
by the name of "tata". I think this is Manikan.

Nope. "Tata" is Leonardo Apa. He's also a pretty good maker. He used to work for Raul Manikan way back when until he decided to go his own way. At one time, he also was employed by RJ Guitars.

Warm regards,
PERF

PinoyPaganini
04-07-2004, 06:08 AM
I can't believe I'm actually communicating with "THE" Perf De Castro.
Your mere name sends shivers down a many six stringers spines, as
Satch did Vai.

Been to your site. Great site man. I have to confess that you seem like a
a nice guy,
alam mo naman sa Pinas mga guitarista pag magaling,
usually snub and mayabang. Feeling untouchable. But I was surprised
you had lessons and downloadable clips for fellow axemen to enjoy
and learn from. Cool site.

Rico Blanco is actually a long time acquaintance from college.
Back then he was just a quiet and myterious fella. We almost
formed a band, he said he had compos as I did. We jammed
a few times, played Yngwie's Riot in the Dungeon.
I was surprised at his talent on the keys. He was actually pretty good,
Coz he got Yngwie's lines note for note on the keys. Then I saw him
with River and the rest is History.

Thanks for correcting my info on "tata" and the additional info.
I was meaning to ask you Perf about the Classical guitar you had made for
you. How much did you spend and what woods did your luthier use
on the top, back, sides, fingerboard and bridge. I've been doing a lot
of research on CG building coz I want to know what to look for
in a good classical guitar. Ano ba yun Concert Quality Perf? Yun
sila Derecho, Manikan and Tata can they realy produce Guitars on
Par with the sky rocket priced ones on Guitar Salon? Opinion
mo lang man, kasi I know you've walked on this road that
I'm walking on now. Any advice. What makes a CG concert
caliber?

Me a monster? Well I try to be. But I never seem to get over
yun performance gitters. Even when I played long ago at Dredd.
Now I just play at home. Kaya nga Classical Guitar na pinasok
ko, it's more intimate than playing with a band. Ikaw Perf, tanong ko
lang, how did you get over your performance gitters. Imagine what
all shredders want to do, perform clean melodic killer runs live on stage
like it was during practice at home. Iba kasi diba pag may audience,
medyo parang nagkakaron ng elmers glue yun fingers. Pag sa bahay,
comfortable, kaya the fingers are relaxed. Do you still feel gitters
on stage, how do you deal with it?

Perf basta may gig ka, timbre mo lang I'll try to make it if I can.
Tagal ko na hindi nakanood ng Malupit na pag-gigitara.

I agree dun sa sinabi mo about Fil guitarists. Dami sakanila
talaga mas trip na makapwesto sa sikat na bar kesa gumawa
ng sariling likha. Showbands rule in the Philippines, kaya
hindi makaporma mga original bands. I'm sick of yun mga gimmicks
lang para magka album approach ng mga ibang bands.
Well that's life.

Thanks again for the reply man.
Shred is not dead.

PinoyPaganini
04-07-2004, 07:00 AM
A story for all in this thread.

Long ago.

My first real Teacher was Lester Demetillo. It was just a
summer course. The only thing I knew then were three
to four chord songs from jingle magazine. I thought that
in order to be a masterful guitarist one had to learn
Classical Guitar. But Mr. Demetillo didn't teach me
Classical, he taught me the Blues. My first Pentatonic scale
came from him. I confessed to him I wanted to play rock,
so we went through jingle mags playing Peggie Sue,
Sounds of Silence and House of the Rising Sun. He also
taught me Steam Roller Blues. At that time I was under the
impression he was the Best Classical Guitarist in the Philippines.

Just recently I saw this Music Booklet at national bookstore.
There was a picture of a man holding a weird maybe 10 string
classical guitar that looked like a harp. Jose Valdez. And he was
addressed Maestro.

Presently I've had a newborn interest in Classical guitar.
The names I remember when I think of Filipino
Classical Guitarists are Demetillo and Valdez.

I found it quite interesting asking myself
who could be the Baddest Classical axeman in the land.
And by Baddest I mean, more proficient, more knowledgable,
more masterful, more virtuosic, the Best there is. It's probably
hard to compare two titanic talents but I'm interested to know
all your opinions.

Maybe there's a dark Horse I havent mentioned, feel free to
give us the name. Basically i just want to know who to look
out for and snatch tickets when a recital appears on a poster.

thanks.
The Minor Lover
PAGS.

rumin
04-11-2004, 09:37 PM
dumadami na tayo dito sa forum. :D nice to here from you guys. i hope this forum somehow would improve the development of the classical guitar in our country. mabuhay tayong mga pinoy na classical guitarists! :D hope someday magkaroon din tayo ng gathering. tugtog lang ng tugtog! :D

rumin
04-11-2004, 10:16 PM
di ko lam kung pano palitan yung title. sorry pcv. anyway, i wasnt able to go to your concert. busy kasi at that time. anyway, see you all guys in the future. sana magkaroon tayo ng gathering. :D dumadami na tayo dito. keep posting guys. :D

rumin
04-11-2004, 10:40 PM
I've just seen the videoclip of your concert. ang galing! :D are you the one who arranged spain for that concert? I first heard spain performed by john mclaughlin and paco de lucia. your interpretation of the piece was great. galing! :D i hope i could watch you perform live. inform me about your upcoming concerts. :D

TranquilBlast
04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
I can't believe I'm actually communicating with "THE" Perf De Castro. Your mere name sends shivers down a many six stringers spines, as Satch did Vai.
Hey man, I actually had that same thing going in my head! Isn't it funny :)

dumadami na tayo dito sa forum. nice to here from you guys. i hope this forum somehow would improve the development of the classical guitar in our country. mabuhay tayong mga pinoy na classical guitarists! hope someday magkaroon din tayo ng gathering. tugtog lang ng tugtog!

It's really nice to have this Classical Guitar thread for us to get our ideas together. Sana nga in the future magkaron din ng gathering para mag-jamming :)

Perf_de_Castro
04-12-2004, 10:42 AM
I can't believe I'm actually communicating with "THE" Perf De Castro.
Your mere name sends shivers down a many six stringers spines, as
Satch did Vai.

Shucks, man, di naman siguro ganun. I just play my guitar the best way I know how. Thanks for the kind words, though! Much appreciated :D Glad you like my site, too!

Ano ba yun Concert Quality Perf? Yun
sila Derecho, Manikan and Tata can they realy produce Guitars on
Par with the sky rocket priced ones on Guitar Salon? What makes a CG concert caliber?

Well, concert quality can take on several meanings. It can be a guitar that's used in concerts (literally) and it doesn't have to be of any particular quality. Some monster players have given concerts using cheap Yamaha guitars. In other cases it can be a guitar that's made from the best woods with the best way known by the maker. But the question would be, if that so-called "best" guitar is bought by a rich novice who only plays in his/her den/playroom/musicroom, strumming a few chords here and there, should it still be called a "concert" guitar?

To answer your question, yes the local makers can make instrument that can be on par with the ones GSI carries, ONLY if they don't leave the Philippines. The humidity here is so high that if you bring a locally made guitar to a very dry and arid climate, it will literally implode, fall apart. I've heard several stories of Pinoy guitars meeting their doom in the US during winter.

Concert quality usually means loud, with good projection, even balance between the trebles and basses, capable of a wide range of tone colors, and responsive to the player's touch. However, all these adjectives are quite subjective, so what may be the case for one player may be different for another.

My current 10 string is made by my luthier friend based in Washington State, Darren Hippner. Actually, I have 2 of his instruments, a flamenca blanca in spruce and cypress, and a 10 string classical in cedar and brazilian rosewood (this is the one I used on the video clip).

If you wanna know more about building and what to look out for, just send me a private email. I'll be glad to answer any questions that I can.

how did you get over your performance gitters. Do you still feel gitters on stage, how do you deal with it?

Yup, I still get nervous but usually during the final few minutes before I get onstage. That nervous energy usually gives you an edge during performing. The only difference nowadays is that I don't take stuff too seriously anymore. If I screw up, I just get over it and move on. I focus on having fun playing the music I like, with people I like playing with.

It's nice if you nail every clean run onstage, but I don't strive for that anymore. I'm more for the good vibes onstage and the feel of the music. Sometimes I come across as sloppy, but every note of that slop is heartfelt :wink:

Perf basta may gig ka, timbre mo lang I'll try to make it if I can.
Tagal ko na hindi nakanood ng Malupit na pag-gigitara..

Well, I have one coming up this Saturday April 17 at 70's Bistro. I'll be playing electric in a jam band with my friends.Short set lang but we'll be playing some fun songs.

Also, the Kasilag Guitar Quartet (the one on the video clip) is currently working on its debut CD. We'll be launching it on June 26, so that's another thing to look forward to. Kung malupit na ang tingin nyo sa akin, wait til you see the guys I'm with hehe :D

are you the one who arranged spain for that concert?

Nope, that arrangement was actually patterned after the LAGQ. We couldn't get the sheet music so we figured it out the old-fashioned way, by ear. Kung sa atin pa, kinapa na lang hehe :D My KGQ cohort, Dong de Dios, is the brilliant guy who figured the stuff out and gave us our parts.

Yup, the Pinoy CG scene is picking up. We'll be announcing the guitar association website in a few weeks. Will give you guys th heads up for sure :D

Ingats sa inyong lahat!

PERF

rumin
04-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Perf: kinapa lang? ok ah! maggaling talaga mga pinoy pag by ear. :D anyway, inform us in this forum if your CD is already out and where it will be available. bibili ako. :D

Mabuhay tayong mga Pinoy. Let's keep this thread going.
Siya nga pala, vote wisely. hehe.

rumin
04-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi guys! How's everybody. Seems like everyone's busy. there are no new messages in our forum.
Hope everyone's ok. ingat lagi.
Perf: pano yung tuning nung 10 string?

PCV
05-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Hey Rumin. Sorry for the late reply. The group, Kasilag Guitar Quartet, is still in the middle of a recording right now. I hope you guys will support our CD when it comes out. Keep this thread going. Thanks. :D

rumin
05-02-2004, 10:04 PM
PCV,

Just inform us here in the forum if the CD's out already out and inform us on where it will available.
Susuportahan namin kayo. Good Luck KGQ! God bless! :D

Perf_de_Castro
05-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey y'all!

Yu can check out the Kasilag Guitar Quartet homepage at http://www.kasilag-gq.tk for any updates regarding the CD release as well as upcoming concerts.

The recording is finally finished, it's in the mastering stage as well as finalization of the album design/layout.

Rumin, saka ko na sasagutin yung 10 string tuning, medyo mahaba sagot nun e :wink:

Happy weekend!

PERF

rumin
05-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Ok. :D
No problem.
Congratulations sa debut cd niyo.
Can't wait to have a copy. :D
God bless!

rumin
05-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Ive seen the site. It was good. :D

Where will your concert be on June 26?
I hope i could come.

rumin
06-09-2004, 06:59 PM
hi!
how's everybody? :D
good luck for the upcoming concert kgq!
where will your concert be held?

Perf_de_Castro
06-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Rumin,

THe concert has been moved to July 6 at the Molina Hall of PCIBank Towers Makati. We'll be finalizing the details by the weekend and I'll post the announcement here aswell as some other places.

For the meantime, we're Featured Artist of the Week at this site:

www.geocities.com/pinoyguitarist

Check it out!

PERF

RMM
06-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Perf-I saw the webpage, and it is very nice. I hope I can watch the concert, but I will be returning to Manila on the same date. I will sure get a copy of the CD when I come back, but I hope there will still be copies left.

I would forward the webpage address to Adolfo who just came from Washington, DC for a flamenco concert last week.

Good luck!!!!

Rey

rumin
06-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Perf,

july 6 is tuesday. i guess i won't be able to watch your concert. i have class on that day.
but i will surely buy a copy of your cd.
good luck to your concert KGQ!
God bless!

Perf_de_Castro
06-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi all!

Details of the July 6 CD Launch/Concert are now posted on the KGQ webpage:

http://www.kasilag-gq.tk

Hope to see you guys there!

PERF

kevinl
06-18-2004, 04:08 PM
I have classes that day too! pity...

rumin
07-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Good luck on your concert KGQ!
God Bless! :D
Sayang i ako makakapanood. :(
The best of luck sa concert niyo! :D

mon_enriquez
05-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi! I just want to express what i feel about the state of classical guitar practice here in my country. I think I'm the only Filipino here in this forum. It is somehow quite sad to think that there are not many classical guitarists here. We, the Filipino classical gutiarists, are somehow few in my country. I think there aren't even any classical guitar societies here. I would like to start one but i can't find any members. I hope our community of classical guitarists here would somehow grow.
That's all i have to say. Im sorry for using this forum in expressing my sympathy.
Anybody who knows the contact address of Joe Valdes?

oliver_deguzman2000
07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
hello guys , I'm also a classical guitar fanatic, there are a lot of classical guitarist in the Philippines, in fact u.p. has a group led by Lester Demetillo called u.p. guitar orchestra. I did not pursue classical guitar as a course , thats why I use the aid of the tablature to finish my pieces.

oliver

rdubb
07-21-2008, 02:03 AM
not trying to hijack the thread or anything...this is more of an aside...so carry on...

i'm half filipino, (other half english/scottish) trying to get more in touch with my pinoy side. I've really enjoyed seeing the videos of Perf's pieces. I'm also conintually fascinated by the immense rhytmic and musical talent of filipinos.

hoping to make it to the philippines some day. i've devoted most of my life to the classical guitar, so this thread is very interesting to me.

can't really decipher the tagalog exchanges, except for few random words :)

rainiert
10-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Wow, I can't believe that the last time i visited this site was more than a year ago... (August 26 2007) to be exact...

I'm been very busy grinding it out as a Music classroom teacher in an all boys school here in the Philippines... I have taught everything from singing, hand signs, dancing, recorder, xylophone, angklung, percussions to this kids....

Lately, I've been teaching the the high school boys some Asian music, Western Music History, and Music Composition... I try at least- to the best of my ability.. Not to mention, I teach computer and arts too...

In short, I don't get to play guitar as much anymore that is why I am about to quit my teaching classroom job and focus more on guitars again... So I figured that this will be a great place to pick up where I left.

So it's nice to be in the company of guitarists again... Glad to be back here...

kkartez
11-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi,

There's no arguement that Pinoys are great musicians. The evidence is all around.

I found this thread by chance and I read about Adolf Timuat and he even played in NY and I missed that.

Does anyone know any info about him--links, concerts, etc. I already know he is based in Madrid. I knew him since I was a kid and when he was starting to get serious with the guitar, we tried to form a band--naively, but it was fun while it last. But the thing that struck me is I asked him to make "kapa" this Allman tune--Little Martha--he called me after a few days and he played it exactly like the original--I was plastered. He is also the first person I saw with a cut-off guitar neck to practice with his fingers--home made.

Any help about the info is much apprecitated--I am based in NYC,--thanks a bunch and keep up the good guitar tunes! And please for any Pinoy players- classical and such--e-mail me for any announcement--yodandme@gmail.com

Thanks again!

ruth_boy
11-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi Kababayans,

During my college days I happened to enrol in one of the short courses in Classical Guitar offered by PWU under the tutelage of Mr. Billy Guerrero. Does anybody know his whereabout now?

Warms regards,

rfyl
12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Ruth Boy,
I am a best friend of Billy. I'm now in US and he is still in the Philippines. He lives in San Francisco del Monte and is now retired due to injury on his fingers.
I just talked to him last year, and I feel very sad about him.

You may not know, but he is also a contemporary and friend of Jose Valdez. He even introduced Joe to PWU to teach also.

I have to say that he was an excellent guitarist and very talented. The first time I met him he can play several classical guitar musics by Tarrega and Bach by ear, because he doe'snt know how to read music then. I met him way back 1971 at guitar master store with Valdez. We were always together then. Unfortunately, I did not learned much to play like him.

Nobody told me but I knew that he was a good teacher because of his tallent.

Lhem
03-08-2011, 12:36 AM
hello,
To all my kababayan.. im a new member from P.I. mla. hello to all members. thanks.

;)
Lhem

Jalpari
04-07-2011, 05:03 AM
I am also a big fan of guitar recently i join a Philippine Classical Guitar Group
on face book.

dondee90
04-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi Guyz,

I am also a Classic Guitar player..and i am glad that there are lots of Filipinos also love playing this magnificent instrument.. I really prefer playing popular music on classical guitar.. I also love arranging my own solo guitar piece.. I also love playing the arrangements of Maestro Joe Valdez, i got all of his printed arrangements, almost:p

I also want to be part of Guitar Society here in the Philippines, can you let me know of an existing group or society? (sorry, maybe this might already been answered on this post, i have not read the entire correspondence yet;))

I am also willing to share some of my popular songs for classical guitar. Let me know. We may also find time to play classic guitar, i think it is a good idea playing as a group:D

Have a good one to everybody:D

williamshood
04-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Is there any classical guitarist in Philippines using acrylic on their nails? My friend told me about Perfecto De Castro is a classical guitarist based in Southern California. Help me !

Vije1
04-25-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm not from the Philippines but I've been using acrylic nails now for about 4 years.

Perf_de_Castro
05-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Is there any classical guitarist in Philippines using acrylic on their nails? My friend told me about Perfecto De Castro is a classical guitarist based in Southern California. Help me !

Yes, I'm based in SoCal. And no, I don't use acrylic nails.

I did use them years ago as a last resort emergency repair and I've vowed never to do it again

MezzoPiano
06-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Anyone here able to attend Philippine International Guitar Festival last January?

Guitar Girl
08-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Could someone please send me the complete address and updated contact numbers of TABO. I have one Derecho Guitar made of Cherry wood from several years ago and I am thinking about getting a Rosewood guitar. My Cherry is still the most amazing guitar I have ever owned. :D

jeramiah guitar
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi, My name is Jeramiah, i am soon to move ot the Philippines and will begin teaching programs there.
I am from Australia, and am an old student of John Williams. I have travelled the world performing and teaching.
I would be very happy to meet a society in Manila, and am open for any feed back or interest in helping people to learn this wonderful craft.
I currently am living in Switzerland and work twice a week in one of Europe's most famous Classical Guitar shops.
Feel free to contact me.

Best regards

Jeramiah Benjamin

PhilRam
11-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Jeramiah. When are you coming to the Phils? I can introduce you to guitar enthusiasts, instructors, and performers. How do I contact you in Manila?

Junbo Borromeo

PhilRam
11-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Could someone please send me the complete address and updated contact numbers of TABO. I have one Derecho Guitar made of Cherry wood from several years ago and I am thinking about getting a Rosewood guitar. My Cherry is still the most amazing guitar I have ever owned. :D
Tabo does not make/repair guitars anymore, as of a couple of months ago.