PDA

View Full Version : Dauphin guitars

wareagle2
02-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Can someone tell me something about Dauphin guitars? I have one that a cousin gave me to learn on and it's nice. Can anybody tell me anything about these? the link seems dead. the model number is 25, thanks.

Pepe Vergara
02-14-2005, 09:37 AM
I have not owned or played one. I know the name and asked a friend of mine who has played all the guitars in the world (he is a professional musician and owner of a Vergara Classical). He said it is a wonderful guitar. He has had one for the last 15 years. I thought they were steel string guitars, but my friend's is classical. We just talked briefly, so if I find out more, I will let you know. Thanks,
Pepe, the Spaniard name by excellence.

keyes
02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
I think they are the guitars created through George Dauphinae. I believe he passed away a while ago. He was a retired businessman in Springfield Illinois who loved classical guitar. For a while he sold guitars out of his house. Later he started a company selling Dauphin guitars. This was back in the mid 80s. He was trying to produce a quality instrument at an affordable price. I bought one for my brother in law once. It was a very nice guitar for the money.

MWA
02-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Dauphin guitars were marketed by Dauphin Company, owned by George Dauphinais, in Springfield Illinois. There were a number of different models mostly classical as I recall. I was fortunate enough to meet Mr Dauphinais in 1984 when I was in Springfield on business. He was at that time the importer of Khono, Sakurai, Takeiri, Ramirez, and I believe Hopf guitars. He also dealt in Sahlin and Ioannou. As in interesting anecdote, I still have a couple of brochures and a price list from this period. At that time (1982 list) he was selling a Ramirez 1a for 2800 and a Ramirez Centenario, his most expensive offering, for 6000. The top Khono went for 4400 and the most expensive Sakurai was 1800 (Note these were list prices). How times change. When I was in Springfield, he graciously allowed me to come to his place of business (I do not recall a showroom or retail shop at that time) and play as many guitars as I wanted. I bought 2 guitars and 2 cases from him over a period of 3 yrs and as I recall, he was a good man to deal with and a very nice gentleman.

selma600
02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I have not owned or played one. I know the name and asked a friend of mine who has played all the guitars in the world (he is a professional musician and owner of a Vergara Classical). He said it is a wonderful guitar. He has had one for the last 15 years. I thought they were steel string guitars, but my friend's is classical. We just talked briefly, so if I find out more, I will let you know. Thanks,
Pepe, the Spaniard name by excellence.

thanks from both of usjavascript:emoticon(':D')javascript:emoticon(':D ')
I would just like to know a little more about woods etc.

fernsemer
02-14-2005, 05:52 PM
My only guitar these days is also a Dauphin guitar. It is a reworked
6 stringer changed into an 8 stringer. I purchased it back in the mid 1980's
at the Guitar Shop in Laguna Beach in southern California. They handled
many Dauphin guitars back then. All the dauphin guitars sounded Good.

I also had a chance to meet Mr. George Dauphinais briefly when I was
traveling through Springfield, Illinois one time. He did indeed seem to be
a kind and gracious man. At the time he was also selling Lutes. So it was
the one time in my life I had a chance to actually hold a Lute in my lap
and try to play it. Trouble was...it wasn't tuned up and I didn't have a lot
of time at my disposal. To make matters worse....with its rounded back, it
kept wanting to roll out of my lap. .... So, I figured out if I was ever going
to be a Lute player.....There was plenty of problems to overcome.

MWA
02-15-2005, 04:15 AM
I would just like to know a little more about woods etc.[/quote]

The brochure I have gives the following specifications:

Mod. 20, Nato neck, rosewood fingerboard, laminated cedar top, rosewood back and sides,
Mod. 30, solid cedar top, nato neck with ebony simulated rosewood fingerboard, rosewood back and sides,
Mod. 40, select cedar top, mahogany neck, ebony simulated rosewood fingerboard, selected rosewood back and sides,
Mod. 60, solid cedar top, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, jacaranda or rosewood back and sides, and
Mod. DH-80, solid spruce top, matched rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck and ebony fingerboard.

None of the descriptions specify solid rosewood back and sides.

The 1982 price list has models 12, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 55(lyric), 60, 70, DH-80, with prices ranging from $268 to $992. Although there are no specifications on the woods used (on the price list), one could probably extrapolate between the models with some level of accuracy.

I hope this gives you a little more information than you already had.

C. Vega
02-15-2005, 05:27 AM
I recently had a Dauphin baritone guitar in my shop for some minor repair. 700mm scale length, cedar top, rosewood ply back and sides, ebony fingerboard. The owner plays it in B-B tuning. Nicely made but rather dull sounding, especially on the low end.

Grek
02-15-2005, 07:30 AM
I was in a trio for a couple of years and one player used a lower-end Dauphin--as DS-20 I believe? Anyhow, he was good player, and the top was solid cedar. I'll say this--when he would play melody lines on his top string, it sounded positively haunting--amazingly beautiful! I could not get that type of sound out of my 3000.00 concert spruce guitar at the time--I was envious.

George Richards
02-15-2005, 07:50 AM
I have been wondering whatever happened to George and his business. I bought a new Kohno 30 off him back in '81 at the teacher discount price--I think I paid $1300!! I later bought a padded case cover that I still use with the Dauphin name printed on the side. I still play the Kohno too! He seemed like a great guy.

selma600
02-16-2005, 07:15 AM
That's hugely helpful, thanks. I haven't done a lot of looking at guitars so I can't really tell whether something is laminate or not. Next time I am in Atlanta I think I will go handle a few.
Hey, Wareagle2...you don't get to KEEP it, you know.
But we still love you, just get your own fast!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

The brochure I have gives the following specifications:

Mod. 20, Nato neck, rosewood fingerboard, laminated cedar top, rosewood back and sides,
Mod. 30, solid cedar top, nato neck with ebony simulated rosewood fingerboard, rosewood back and sides,
Mod. 40, select cedar top, mahogany neck, ebony simulated rosewood fingerboard, selected rosewood back and sides,
Mod. 60, solid cedar top, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, jacaranda or rosewood back and sides, and
Mod. DH-80, solid spruce top, matched rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck and ebony fingerboard.

None of the descriptions specify solid rosewood back and sides.

The 1982 price list has models 12, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 55(lyric), 60, 70, DH-80, with prices ranging from $268 to $992. Although there are no specifications on the woods used (on the price list), one could probably extrapolate between the models with some level of accuracy.

I hope this gives you a little more information than you already had.[/quote]

wareagle2
02-17-2005, 05:34 AM
Like we aren't within hailing distance!
Seriously, it's nice to have something good to learn on while I'm saving up for my own...or maybe I will just skip town with it.javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
I have noticed that the Dauphin is lighter than her Ramirez. Would that indicate laminated woods?
Why should one stress about this if the sound is so great? At this point I might try to find one of these used if I keep playing.
Lee