PDA

View Full Version : Juan Hernandez

hiracer
09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Imported by that Fernandez guy out of So. Cal., also of Esteve fame.

Anybody know anything about these guiters, Juan Hernandez. I played one last week and the sound, particually the treble, haunts me. Price was $1,700. Think it was their Professor model.

Apparently, Hernandez bolted from Esteve with a few artisians. Gonna play it again tomorrow.

hesson11
09-30-2005, 08:01 PM
John,
Sorry I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but I believe I recall some favorable comments on this guitar on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine Forum (Classical Corner section). All I know is what I've read there and on the Fernandez/Esteve Website.

If I'm not mistaken I believe I have noticed a similarity between the headstock on this guitar and on the guitars Thomas Prisloe sells under the Pavan name (google "Prisloe" and "Pavan"). Don't know whether they are the same guitar or not.

I'd be interested in hearing your further impressions if you play the guitar again, especially your opinion on where the guitar falls on the warm-to-bright tonal spectrum. I'm kind of interested because the guitar is also offered in a 640 scale.
-Bob

Pepe Vergara
09-30-2005, 08:24 PM
I know Juan, the luthier, and I know Ron, the importer. They are above all, very honest persons in terms of guaranteeing what they do and sell. I have played most of the models made by Juan. I particulary like the top two models, I do not remember the name or code. Very clean and traditional Spanish maker. I admire Juan's work.

quekhc
09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi

I own a Juan Hernandez guitar, Concierto model. I am very satisfied with it. Bought it in Japan in Jan05. Beautifully made. I singled it out among other more expensive guitars such as Juan Hernandez Mastero and Sakurai-Kohno Special model, after spending more than 4 hours in the shop, playing almost every single guitar there. IMHO, the bass and trebles for this guitar is well balanced (unlike the Sakurai-Kohno guitar) and I like its tone very much. D'Addario strings works well on it.

I think for custom-made guitars, one cannot really judge the guitar based on only the brand because every famous brands turn out the occasional dude. :wink: So, just go to your nearby shop, play a Juan Hernandez guitar and make a decision.

By the way, my guitar cost US$2614.

Stefan*
10-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Jan Hernandez Professor. Picked it up for $600US used. Amazing purchase at that price. Great volume for a non concert instrument. Very even between treble/bass. strong bass. Great workmanship.

My only complaint would be that it doesn't 'sing out' as much as I'd like. Still, compared to an R4 or 4E, I think it's a much better buy for the $$.

I'd say it's worth a try. If you want a used one, I may sell mine in a month or two. Give me a shout.

Stefan

hiracer
10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies. I've been out and haven't had a chance to check back here.

Pepe, special thanks for your input.

I have not had a chance to play the guitar again. The last time I purchased a guitar, my wife went out and purchased a very expensive cello. I just said no to another cello for my youngest son. We rent instead. But I'm haunted by the treble on that Hernandez and must go try it again. I'm scared what happens if I buy it.

But the sound of it is bugging me. I've been perfectly happy with my student Cordoba, until now. Maybe it was just that particular guitar, and it's sold by now. It had a ding in it. I'm really off balance here.

Pepe Vergara
10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.vergaraguitars.com/JuanHernandezbracing1.JPG

Stefan*
10-07-2005, 07:42 AM
I have not had a chance to play the guitar again. The last time I purchased a guitar, my wife went out and purchased a very expensive cello.

Thank god my wife play piano and we can only fit one :)

I'm haunted by the treble on that Hernandez and must go try it again. ... I've been perfectly happy with my student Cordoba, until now. Maybe it was just that particular guitar, and it's sold by now.

I think this is a common problem with student level and factory guitars. They can be made to be clear and playable, but what is always missing I find, is the lyrical singing quality where a treble note has perfect harmonic swirling all around it. The luthiers on here can answer this question better than I can, but I think it's got a lot to do with the soundboard wood quality and tuning during assembly. Go and play a few luthier level models and you'll be happy I think.

Pepe ... thanks for the picture! That's great. Which model of Hernandez is it? Did you dissasemble it yourself? I'd love to have an even larger copy of it emailed to me if you have one.

Stefan

Pepe Vergara
10-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Actually that was on his display at NAMM last year.

Stefan*
10-07-2005, 08:40 AM

Cool ... you'd make a good surgeon if you took it apart that well :)

Tsk,tsk ... you have to lose that midi music on your web site and get some real classical guitar music! Preferably using one of your guitars!

Email me if you want some web site work done. (Site that I did last year ... www.bozidar.com)

Stefan

Jeffery_Doty
10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I have the Juan Hernandez Concierto model, 2003, Indian rosewood and spruce. It is fantastic! I absolutely love the guitar. That said, I would suggest looking for a used one. The market is saturated now, and folks have not figured out that the Juan Hernandez is a very good value. So folks don't want to give you anything for them! Case in point; in a time of desperation, I listed mine for $1650 reserve on ebay and did not get one bid! Almost a grand less than it can usually be found.

Good luck, and if you can't stop thinking about it, you should get it!

Jeff

Pepe Vergara
10-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I have the Juan Hernandez Concierto model, 2003, Indian rosewood and spruce. It is fantastic! I absolutely love the guitar.
Jeff
http://www.acenca.org/index2_files/page0026.htm

Jubilee Valence
10-07-2005, 10:35 PM

Cool ... you'd make a good surgeon if you took it apart that well :)

Tsk,tsk ... you have to lose that midi music on your web site and get some real classical guitar music! Preferably using one of your guitars!

Email me if you want some web site work done. (Site that I did last year ... www.bozidar.com)

Stefan Are you "Stillwater Studios"? That was a very nice job, however I don't want to be rude in regards to the subject(btw--Bolz's "Etude" sample.......pretty "short"...)--"midi"?....I'll have ta' get over there...no Perf?...............................hiracer!!! How's it goin'?!-sounds like a fine instrument!................quekhc-Howdy!...I did the same in Okinawa in '76....'played a local "Hand Made"(shop...) flamenco blanca vs one of the infant Yamaha custom(hand built) shop......"Oki'" whupped 'em--I always do that---"if" permitted........."if" you know what "I" mean...LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!...'reminds me!..."O'de'le! "Spanki"...?que pas-o-o-o, 'vato!--a'la'blanca-?ella con "pegs" o' "maji'nachos"?......oy, ay,...no me boracho'n :lol:

Sandra
10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Jubilee, since we don't have a private messaging system in these forums, I'm going to run the risk of being a bit off topic and perhaps even rude by saying your posts give me a headache. Consistently. Most of the time I just skip over them because you make no sense. Or at least I don't want to waste my time trying to make sense out of them. No offense, but how old are you? I know 12 year olds who can compose more coherent sentences.

BTW, I was born in Okinawa.

Jubilee Valence
10-08-2005, 03:54 AM
49........apologies my sweet........I LOVE your avatar; but don't know it's origin, if any, apart from our shared gallery here. I hadn't made it that far when I noticed your lovely name in the sidebar. However, to be quite truthful, I had anticipated a now moot, salicious formula applied to the advantageously supplied "fodder", if you will, in that of the innocently mentioned breathing specific to a certain trend in studio productions. It was as I was going to again seek out my former dalliance in this very thread(but had forgotten the title!) when my eyes beheld your name again, and thus it's summoning; I have no idea what I was talking about--all I know is that *EDIT --GEE! GOLLY! I must with all due respect and apologys renderable here and now, leave you to your pleasure *EDIT GEE! GOLLY! ..."..give me a headache...Consistently...because you make no sense....waste my time trying..." [/i]....One time I must address you on the subject of communication, for it is this very same ideal that we indeed share.........*EDIT................."qua-ack-ckk-ckkkkk-kkkk!!!".................GEE! GOLLY!...Empyrian.--'Duuuu!

Stefan*
10-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Are you "Stillwater Studios"? That was a very nice job, however I don't want to be rude in regards to the subject(btw--Bolz's "Etude" sample.......pretty "short"...)--"midi"?

Yes, that is my company and thank you. Yes, the sample is short intentionally to keep the download time short. You can enjoy the full version in full stereophonic sound on his CD ... I'm sure Bozidar would appreciate the business :)

Midi? No that's an audio clip. Not sure what you mean there.

The rest of your post lost me sorry. And your reply to Sandra sounds like shakespeare, but I never liked that ... gave me a headache too ;)

Jeffery, I think that was me that was talking to you about buying the concierto. Still have it?

Peace, out. We're wayyy off topic now

Sandra
10-08-2005, 02:28 PM
I LOVE your avatar; but don't know it's origin, if any, apart from our shared gallery here.
Thanks, I just put it up last night. That is my cat. His name is Jerome. ;)

/goes to grab a couple aspirin :D

hiracer
10-10-2005, 03:28 PM
49........apologies my sweet........I LOVE your avatar; but don't know it's origin, if any, apart from our shared gallery here. I hadn't made it that far when I noticed your lovely name in the sidebar. However, to be quite truthful, I had anticipated a now moot, salicious formula applied to the advantageously supplied "fodder", if you will, in that of the innocently mentioned breathing specific to a certain trend in studio productions. It was as I was going to again seek out my former dalliance in this very thread(but had forgotten the title!) when my eyes beheld your name again, and thus it's summoning; I have no idea what I was talking about--all I know is that I want you; I must with all due respect and apologys renderable here and now, leave you to your pleasure my love.--Philip... "..give me a headache...Consistently...because you make no sense....waste my time trying..." ....One time I must address you on the subject of communication, for it is this very same ideal that we indeed share, intimately; and passionately; to the fault-mutually precious one;"Mutually"; I glean also that perhaps it's in the dimensionally breaching properties evidenced within the limitless imaginings manifest as human endeavors, an application not in of the common-but such as ours; in the deepest, fullest, expressions not yet even realized between us, that such as was could have been-ever-an abyss; 'was never..! -no gap! nor rift; yet pure plane of thought; And so propelling ever outward and upward, spiralling if possible, radiating pure light throughout the formally vacant, now beautifully waiting, anxious realms- conquered; as per each "faster than light" second; by our surveys and arcments as they fall away from our explosively ultralinear, extra-geometrically and ever ever ever expanding conciousness of wrent-shattering and all consuming joy; Then permeating everywhere at once; Empyrian.--'Duuuu!

Gawd, Jub (can I call you that?), most of the time I have no clue what you are talking about, but this time I got it (I think) and almost hurt myself laugh so hard.

Was it Pop-Eye who said, "I am whatz I am"?

hiracer
10-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I have not had a chance to play the guitar again. The last time I purchased a guitar, my wife went out and purchased a very expensive cello.

Thank god my wife play piano and we can only fit one :)

Ah, we just bought a 6' piano for my boys, both of whom play; and the youngest plays the cello too. My wife recently purchased "a very special violin" that needs some repairs. Nobody here plays, or will play, the violin. I am, truly, going broke. And then there is the "extra" cello in the garage.

BTY, we kept the old upright piano downstairs so the boys can both practice at the same time. So it seems we have two of just about everything, except CG!

Stefan*
10-10-2005, 07:07 PM
So it seems we have two of just about everything, except CG!

Tell your wife that your colleauge on GSI has 40 guitars and only 1 piano. You need to rebalance :) Besides, guitars all sound different, piano's are the same ... it's just a percussion instrument really :D [flame suit on]

hiracer
10-11-2005, 08:42 AM
So it seems we have two of just about everything, except CG!

Tell your wife that your colleauge on GSI has 40 guitars and only 1 piano. You need to rebalance :) Besides, guitars all sound different, piano's are the same ... it's just a percussion instrument really :D [flame suit on]

I agree completely about the need for more guitars in the house; but after playing 40 to 50 pianos before purchasing our first grand, I can assure you they sound vastly different, sometime even the same model from the same maker sounds vastly different. I played two Steingrabers (sp?) next to each other. Same model, but voiced completely differently. BTY, each of those pianos cost more than my first house. To die for. Of course, they only make 20 of them a year.

My biggest problem with getting another guitar is the four bicycles I have hanging from my garage, some of which are made out of precious metals. My wife never misses an opportunity to point out my tastes in bikes. Shoot. Can't a guy have a few toys???

Jubilee Valence
10-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I LOVE your avatar; but don't know it's origin, if any, apart from our shared gallery here.
Thanks, I just put it up last night. That is my cat. His name is Jerome and he is intarweb famous. ;) Someday I'll have to get around to updating his site again.

http://jerome.jerome.net/

/goes to grab a couple aspirin :Dhttp://www.draconian.com/artwork/clipart/cartooncoloredwyvern.gif....intar-web?(I always was curious about that)....qua-ack-ckkkk!

Jubilee Valence
10-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Gawd, Jub (can I call you that?), most of the time I have no clue what you are talking about, but this time I got it (I think) and almost hurt myself laugh so hard.

Was it Pop-Eye who said, "I am whatz I am"?..."YOU" hurt "YOURSELF"???.........jjjeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!.........man, *EDIT GEE GOLLY!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .//--I think it's "I'yam whutz I'yam!"--although Pepe's more of the resident "Popeye-The Sailor Man"!...... :wink:......Stephan*...uh...the "midi" reference was to your comment about Don Pepe's website sound bites; about a year back one of our fellow members had offered to collaberate on the recordings, but I know he's touring now-perhaps it didn't connect schedule-wise or whatever. Take care "gents" and........by all means--- remain youthful and"vigorous"!!!--*EDIT--GEE! GOLLY!Jubidubiduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

guitarlover
10-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Ron lives in Irvine, California and dedicates his whole time to art. He will never get tired in the musical field.

The Esteve has model 3 to 12. Cedar or spuce top. It has Cocobolo wood on the back and sides on model 12. Model 12 is limited with nice headstock.

I owned Esteve model 12 in 1994. Sold it in 1998 and bought other guitars.

ricecrackerphoto
11-09-2005, 09:35 PM
i just played the estudio flamenco juan hernandez and the tone was amazing, so buttery though lacking a bit of the growl. the job that ron fernandez does on the frets is amazing, the action is so fast and smooth.

sorry i'm a novice so i can't articulate it more. but i can't believe how great that hernandez feels. its a case of where i love the way my cordoba pro-f sounds but i am obsessing over the ease of playing the hernandez.

hmmm.......maybe some high tensions will add bite.

ricecrackerphoto
11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
ok forget what i just wrote. i just returned my cordoba pro-f and picked up the estudio flamenco. absolutely stunning. smooth and creamy like the whole thing was carved out of butter.

thank you juan and ron!

woo hoo!

doug

mel
01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
did you get that at dusty strings in seattle? i played that guitar and went back to buy it and it was gone. been kicking myself ever since, though i have a cervantes fleta concert model that is set to arrive any day. but if that is the same guitar, and you ever want to sell it, definetly give me a holler. my email address is mattmeldon@hotmail.com. that was an amazing guitar. played so smooth.