Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Contributor

Default Cuong luthier in vietnam ?

hello,

did anyone try one of the Cuong guitar?
do you know any good quality guitar maker ?

there is a website but cannot be logged.

regards

André
Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributor

Default I forget to select email notifycation

sorry for this but I just forgot to select email notification .. the question is still valid.

Regards

André
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Contributor

Default Cuong Luthier & Giang Van Than Luthier

Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
sorry for this but I just forgot to select email notification .. the question is still valid.

Regards

André
Cuong Luthier & Giang Van Than Luthier are the two contemporary luthiers in Vietnam. I used to have 5 guitars from Cuong Luthiers 8 years ago with lattice bracing. And I also have many different guitar from Than Luthier with Fleta, Hauser, Marcelo Barbero bracing.
Both luthiers used the materials from Steward MAC, LMII, Tonewoods from USA & Canada

You have to give them specific details the guitar you want.

Here are some of my examples about the specifications of difference guitars which I have had ordered. I specify different types of bracing & woods & art designs :

6 -8 Strings:- Traditional 6, or 7 strings. If 7 strings then it needs to be specific either traditional 7 strings or the newer 7 strings using capo allowing you tuning to different note within a second (just like Greg Byers 7 strings extra frets).

Bracing & Sound Board (low, waist & upper bout), thickness, side/back, all based on my requests:
- Design with Fleta, Ramizer, Marcelo Barbero Jr., Kohno, Lattice, or Hauser spec etc. (I want to have many different type of bracing & technique ) . I dont like any type of lattice. double top or the sound of GregSmallman design that much

Wood:- Front : Master Cedar, Master Spruce or may be 4A. If I want more bass or more treble or whatever type of sound & tone that I am after, I usually discuss with him so he can sanding down the front sound board at specific areas or placing some bars or remove some bars to different angles to obtain the tone & sound. I try to advoid using carbon fiber on the front sound board.

- Back/Side: Mahogany, Cocobolo, Indian Rosewood, Koa, Flame Maple, or any exotic wood that I want to provide to him. I just order some ziricote & Osage orange for next 2 guitars)

- Neck & Fingerboard: Ebony, or Rosewood, some designs with either Gotoh Truss rod or Carbon Fiber strips. Some guitars I prefer no extra support from CF rods
- Bridge: Brazilian Rosewood, IRW, Osage, other rosewood etc...
- Fret wire: Medium, Large, Jumbo, low/high of crown and nickle or stainless steel.

Nut & Saddle: Bone or TUSQ & specifications for intonation

Neck profile:U shape or thin neck and specification, some guitar with straight fretboard, some with radius from 17-19' for Jazz guitar, and 21-22 for Clasical/Flamenco .
Neck for 7 strings or Elevate Freatboard I usually want either 2 medium carbon fiber bar, or a Gotoh trussrod with 2 extra GR0 LMI fiber carbon strip

Finish:- All his finishes are French Polish with intensive labor of coatings for front board (blond, or mix blond+garnet) or Laccquer or Varnish for back/side. For the side/back He likes the natural (no staining, no color) just clear lacquer. I have to ask so he can stain the wood before applying lacquers for side/back for amber color.

Also for the playability I choose the following spec for all of my standards:

CLASSICAL:
Nut width: 52mm
String spacing between Nut = 8.5 mm
Spacing between E-E = 42mm
Height of 1 Fret of 6th string = 2mm
Height of 12 Fret of 6th string = 3.5 - 4mm
Height of 12 Fret of 1th string: 2.8-3mm
Neck profile: 22mm at 1st fret thin neck

FLAMENCO:
Nut width: 52mm
String spacing between Nut = 8.5 mm
Spacing between E-E = 42mm
Height of 1 Fret of 6th string = 1.8-2mm
Height of 12 Fret of 6th string = 3 - 3.2mm
Height of 12 Fret of 1st string = 2.4 - 2.6mm

-------

Lowest price range I find that (both Cuong & Than) general estudio guitar is around 600-700 with no any extra specification ( and within the country). All my guitars I am not only request to upgrade to specfic Bracing/Neck/Fretwire/Elevate Fretboard/Finish/Wood/Inlay, But I am also need to provide materials such as Woods, Carbon Fiber rods, Stainless Fretwire, shellac flakes, etc... Well, those my order guitars are ... I let you figure it out how much it costs.

Giang Van Than luthier & CUong Luthier are the top 2 luthiers in Vietnam. I know about 50 others luthiers in the country, but I like only these 2 luthiers for their contemporary design.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Contributor

One more thing when you want toplace order from them:

- Tell them the music you play (such as Villa Lobos, Bach, Roland Dyens ..etc) from there they can predict what type of sound you are after, and fine tuning the resonance of the sound board & weight of the back/side to achive the sound

If you really know the resonance of frequency of your sound board & Back, you can tell them, so they can tune the sound board to G, G# or F# etc...