Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Contributor

Default Vicente Tatay

hello,

I read a lot of infos about Vicente Tatay classical guitar, but all say that he stop production in 1942. Some mounth ago I found one, in very bad condition, were the label inside shows 1972 (non well readable). Should be possible? I know that after 1942, the label was changed in Hijos de Vicente Tatay.

Thank you for any infos.

Regards.

Antonio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto0148.jpg (46.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Foto0043.jpg (52.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Tatay was still making guitars in 1972 and sold in the US thru the Spanish Music Center in NYC. the Hijos may refer to younger members of the family coming aboard and running the business at some point. Vicente Tatay was a fine luthier who passed the art down to his sons and retired in 1942.
The sons expanded the business and the shop eventually became a factory. The guitars that were being made in 1972 were good but not really hand made. But they were made in Spain and with good woods mostly solid woods. I never owned one but played a few at the SMC over the years. The best cost $450 in 1957 and about $800 in 1972. (a little less for Flamenco models)
They played well and would compare to a guitar in the 1-2000 range today, maybe a little better if you got a good one. Quality was OK and there was often a great difference from instrument to instrument of the same model. I understand they at their height they made about 50000 guitars a year if that gives you a picture. Of course, the better guitars had more hand work.

The earlier guitars had a lot of problems cracking, coming unglued, warping, etc. The SMC blamed it on the long ocean voyage and change of climate. That's possible. It might also have been wood that was not aged enough.

I hope this is helpful

sam
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 PM

PS
The guitar pictured is one of the worst examples of a Tatay I've ever seen. That was just abused
Contact Junior Del Pilar on Court Street in Brookly, NY and ask him about Tatay guitars. He and his father fixed quite a few of them. He'd be glad to give you a good "inside" opinion of Tatay.

sam
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM

I've had a lot of students with these guitars and they're all unfortunately pretty bad. - Tony
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Contributor

Default Vicente Tatay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamac View Post
PS
The guitar pictured is one of the worst examples of a Tatay I've ever seen. That was just abused
Contact Junior Del Pilar on Court Street in Brookly, NY and ask him about Tatay guitars. He and his father fixed quite a few of them. He'd be glad to give you a good "inside" opinion of Tatay.

sam
Thank you Sam,
I live in Italy, i dont' know how to contact Junior Dl Pilar. I got that guitar for free. I confirm that its all solid wood, but really a lot of cracks. I'm just trying to repair it by myself, without spend money. Its an hard work, I''ll post the results (if I get one).

Thank you again and best regards.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Contributor

Just anote, Tatay is very large family and They have many relatives building guitars under their name, vitato, taymar and hijos de vicente tatay , are just some of this guitars made by members of this family.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Contributor

Default Tomas Delgado

I own a Vicente Tatay. The label is different from the one posted. I will take a photo and send it in. Great student guitar.

Tomas Delgado
Candelas Guitars
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Contributor

Default guitar tatay

I remember that Alfredo Gil the founder of the famous bolero trio "los Panchos" went to Vicente Tatay himself when he had a shop in N.Y.C.
in the mid forties to have him made the very first requinto, mr Tatay based this instrument in a colombian tiple and a very curious tunning that mr Gil deviced,the ending result was a requinto with the original tunning on A major and string scale of 550mm.
He called this instrument "the Tata" in honor of mr Tatay.
As far as I know mr Tatay never was given credit for this innovation, other than mr Gil himself.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Many a pleasant memory of
hanging around the long island
shop with his son Andrew Tatay.
Still have two guitars he built for me.
a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields
Old 11-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian richardson View Post
Many a pleasant memory of
hanging around the long island
shop with his son Andrew Tatay.
Still have two guitars he built for me.
Yeah....take real good care of the one with the gold tag!!!!!
LOL!!!!
[i]"..what a buffoon/nice gut.."[/i]--kaski1
-2005 Jose "Pepe" Vergara 1A Flamenco SP/CY BRW