Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 02-26-2004, 02:30 AM

Default The Classial Guitar in the Philippines

Hi! I just want to express what i feel about the state of classical guitar practice here in my country. I think I'm the only Filipino here in this forum. It is somehow quite sad to think that there are not many classical guitarists here. We, the Filipino classical gutiarists, are somehow few in my country. I think there aren't even any classical guitar societies here. I would like to start one but i can't find any members. I hope our community of classical guitarists here would somehow grow.
That's all i have to say. Im sorry for using this forum in expressing my sympathy.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Frequent Poster

rumin.... we r probably not anyway better than u in philippines.... fellow asian, we must keep our heads high...let's hope 4 a better 2morrow
seow
singapore
Old 02-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributor

How about this? We all pool our money together, buy an island, and only let CGers live there. That would be a very genuine Classical guitar society! Hope things pick up where you guys live. It's sad to see the classical guitar tradition lagging anywhere. Maybe you guys could be missionaries of sorts and try to convert all your neighbors to play CG.

-chaz
Old 02-27-2004, 03:12 AM

Rumin...Kabayan don't despair there are lots of us in hiding , it is just that most of us can't afford to buy a decent guitar. Once I asked my sister who also loves playing CG to buy me a decent sounding guitar which happens to cost around 1000 dollarsand she replied " A thousand dollars for a guitar is too expensive to be a hobby!" (There goes my Asturias)

Do u have the scores for "Dahil sa isang bulaklak" my teacher 15 years ago played it and I love it.

Chaz... i do not think it is a good idea to just let all the CG in one island, who will do the cooking , the cleaning the dishes and the hard labor when everyone or almost everyone of us is afraid to "break a nail!"

Old 02-27-2004, 05:51 AM

Default et041053

Kabayan! Im very happy to find a countryman here! :P saan ka sa pilipinas?
You're right. It is really hard to find a decent guitar in our country. It is even hard to find sheet music for our instrument here.
Sorry pare pero wala ako nung piece na tinutukoy mo.
Anyway, im really glad to find you here.
Taga saan ka?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Frequent Poster

Old 02-28-2004, 12:32 AM

From Manila. Too bad u do not have the piece I mentioned I think UP has a guitar society .madaming libre sheet music sa Net. Type in Dirk's guitar page at Yahoo. See Ya and more power!

Edwardcav
Old 02-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Contributor

Hi. On the contrary to what you guys are saying, there are a lot of classical guitarists/enthusiasts in our country. You just have to know where to find them. The 3 major guitar schools (Philippine Women's University, University of the Philippines and the University of Sto. Tomas) will be a good place to start. We also had a guitar society a long time ago (Philippine Guitar Society, circa 1970's-80's). Right now, we're in the process of putting up a new one. It's already registered in the SEC but we're still working on some details. There's also an active guitar society in Cebu (Cebu Guitar Foundation). Regarding the piece "Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak," I believe it's included in my teacher's book, The Philippine Guitar by Jose Valdez. You can also buy guitars from makers such as Raul Manikan, Armando Derecho, Bebot Allegre (Cebu) and Dominguez Javier (Cebu).
Old 02-29-2004, 11:25 PM

thanks for the info I might just buy one online. How are the guitars made by Filipino Luthiers are they good , how much does it cost and what materials are used, do u own one? Just curious.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:33 AM

Default PCV

hi pcv! Thanks for the info. Please inform me about the society your forming. i would be much interested to know how to join the society. by the way, im from the university of the philippines but not diliman. im from up los banos. thanks again for the info. and also for the filipino guitar makers. but where are their shops located?