Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributor

I think the book "The Philippine Guitar" by Jose Valdez is available at National Bookstore. If you're having a hard time finding it, then just drop by the PWU College of Music. We're still selling it at the office. It's more expensive on-line. About the guitar makers, the most active right now are Armando "Tabo" Derecho (02)9982548 and Fernando "Bebbot" Alegre of Cebu 4957658. Raul Manikan used to make a lot of guitars. But as of now, his production is quite limited due to the lack of workers. He makes excellent guitars. The same situation with Dominguez Javier. I used to own a few Manikans and 2 Javiers. Generally, you can specify the materials that you want (Spruce, Cedar, Indian Rosewood, etc.). The cost ranges from P20,000-P45,000.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:17 PM

thanks agian for the info and phone number pcv.
they still have "The Philippine Guitar" at the National Bookstores.
anyway, thanks for the info pcv. nice to hear from you.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributor

I am also a classical guitar player from the Philippines and regularly visits this website. I logged into this forum because PCV's message about the SEC registration of a guitar society in the Philippines caught my attention. It is funny because before I left for the US, I remember registering a guitar society with the SEC, I just do not know if this is it; I cannot remember the name anymore.

Anyway, classical guitar is alive in the Philippines, It is just that we players do not get together and organize ourselves. I feel very proud of our guitar players in the Philippines kasi nakita kong magperform ang ibang players dito sa New York, at hindi pahuhuli ang mga gitarista natin sa galing. May partida pa nga tayo kasi as you say, we cannot afford expensive guitars na kagaya ng mga performers dito. Sayang at hindi sila nabibigyan ng break na mag-perform sa ibang bansa kung saan ma-appreciate ang talento nila ng husto. BTW, we have a Filipino flamenco player who is doing well in Spain.

All the makers PCV gave you are good. I don't think Javier still makes guitar nowadays, which is sayang, but I heard Bebot Alegre sells reasonably-priced and good guitars. Joe Valdez's book is a must-have for any Filipino classical guitar player. I am proud to be one of his students.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:26 PM

Default hi RMM!

It's really nice to hear from Filipino classical players in this forum. your right. maybe the problem for us classical guitarists here in the Philippines is that we dont have gatherings or get together activities. our cg community here is not that organized. your right. there are really good classical guitar players in our country. anyway, what's the name of the Filipino Flamenco player in Spain?
Old 03-20-2004, 03:09 PM

RMM are u a teacher now in New York? Are u a UP grad ? Anong clase guitara na ma e reomenda mo ?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Contributor

I am not a teacher, I am a student of Prof. Joe Valdez in the Philippines. I am here in New York for a job assignment and will be back attending classical guitar lessons in Manila by July of this year.

The Filipino flamenco player is Adolfo Timuat Toyoda. He is also a student of Prof. Joe and now based in Madrid. He will be performing at the Lincoln Center here in New York in June of this year. Adolfo visits Manila once in while and gives flamenco lessons at UP.

As for the guitar I can recommend, try Bebot Alegre's guitars. I have seen and played one, and it is good. Another option, if you are serious, will be for you to ask around for second-hand Spanish guitars coming out once in a while in Manila. Just recently, I heard about a second-hand Ramirez being on sale. Just send me your email address and I can give you the details on this.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Spanish guitars

hey RMM, thanks for the info. by the way, Im also interested about the second hand Spanish guitars. pls send me the details bout it. here's my email ad: rmanayan@yahoo.com

thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributor

Hi RMM. I was also a former student of Jose Valdez in PWU. Are you taking your lessons in St. Scho? Chances are, we've already met. I don't know if we're talking about the same guitar society, if I'm not mistaken, it was registered last year. Adolfo Timuat is a friend of mine. I guess he'll be back in the Philippines around Aug. The last time he was here, He did a lot of lectures about the Flamenco Guitar and even guitar contruction. By the way, I'd like to inform everyone that the Ars Nova Guitar Quartet will have a concert on April 4 at the Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies (AIIAS). That's in Silang Cavite. Show starts around 7 PM. I'm a member of the group. We're going to play a variety of pieces, from Baroque, Ethnic, Filipino Classics to Chick Corea. I hope you can all come. Maybe we can chat after the concert. See you there!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Hi PCV!

I hope I could come to your concert.
Good luck!
It's nice that your playing Chick Corea!
I think I'll watch!
Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributor

PCV-Yes, I am student of Prof. Joe at St. Scho. I spoke with him last week, and it seems we are referring to the same classical guitar society. Are you Phil or Perf?

Speaking of guitars, I am right now looking for some fine guitar woods, and there are actually a lot of them available here in the US, but I would like to try the more exotic ones like Macassar Ebony, Cocobolo or Madagascar Rosewood. Any idea whether our own luthiers would agree to make guitars from materials that are supplied by the customer? I am thinking of getting Bebot Alegre to work on it.

I really want to own a fine guitar handcrafted by a Filipino luthier but made of excellent woods. They are also world class, it is just that they have limited number of excellent woods to work on, and humidity is another thing that is hard to control. I have seen a flamenco made by Boy Solano from imported woods, and super ganda ang tunog. Another one made by Demet also sounded very good.

Good luck on your concert. Too bad I cannot come to see it, but I will come to know all your concerts when we begin organizing the society hopefully soon.