Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 09-18-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Hikari guitars

In 1971, my teacher turned me on to Hikari guitars, a Japanese made student guitar that was quite affordable but looked and played great for a beginner [it lost its charm up in the upper register, where the tone wasn't so good]. My main guitar is a Ramirez 1a, but I still love to play this old Hikari. Some years ago, someone told me Hikari didn't make it and the co. went belly-up shortly after I purchased mine. I have been curious for years, is this story true and has anyone else heard of them?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributor

Just began my search for info on Hikari guitars. I bought mine in 1972 , model H150. At the time my teacher recommended the Hernandez II, but the sound and the finish of the Hikari won out. I still play it , even though my main instrument is the violin. It has enough volume to do the Boccherini guitar quintets, when the string quartet I play in has an extra violinist.
When I bought the guitar, I was told that Hikari was the head of design at Alvarez in Japan, who brought out some hand made models under his own name. The importer of this product line was C. Bruno and Son in New York. Whether ending the production was a business decision by Alvarez, or if Hikari was an independent luthier, I have not been able to verify.
Other than that the instrument plays well and is beautifully finished, I know little else about my instrument.

Last edited by forwdr; 05-12-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM

Boy, looks like I made that post five yr. ago. Thanks for the information. You are the first person with whom I've communicated in decades to have heard of Hikari. Too bad they are no longer made and apparently have not been for a very long time. I believe I paid around $160 for mine, with case, back then and, for a student [and starving college student], it was a really nice guitar. It still is. Thanks again for your post.

These guitars go to show that one does not have to spend a boatload of money to get a nice instrument which will last, in my case, at least 40 years.

So far.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Contributor

Default 61 h-150

Hi guys. Joining in a few years late haha. Just picked up a hikari h150. Can't find much info about it but as the previous sentiment was expressed I absolutely LOVE it. I wish I could find out more about the guitar I believe it has a spruce top Rosewood sides no laminate. Plays like a very expensive guitar, I feel very lucky to have come across it.