Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 03-08-2005, 04:51 PM

Default rosewood fingerboard and ebony fingerboard

rosewood fingerboard or ebony fingerboard does it really makes any difference?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Frequent Poster

Probably no effect on the sound, but ebony does not wear as easily and some people think it looks better. The only effect it has on sound is by association, better guitars have ebony fingerboards.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:18 PM

Wears better, looks better, and for some reason, I think it feels better.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

I prefer Brazilian (not Indian) rosewood for flamenco guitars
\"The difference between a smart person and a wise person is that a smart person knows what to say and a wise person knows whether or not to say it.\" -- Anonymous - on the wall of a recreation center in Berkeley, CA.
[url]www.vergaraguitars.com[/url] -
Old 03-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

Default unbound ebony!

! as the fingerboard of my '04 R1, has above all it's other attributes, the natural ability to ALARM me--when--conditions are either A) too dry; or B) not too dry;..batting 1.000 for both A) & B);A)-1 event....B) every day ALSO....only other ebony is on Jazzer---Semi-Acoustic...it's bound all the way around to nut and never a problem....all others --rosewood-"worry free";except for 2 "MAPLES",strat & tele...Pepe? is maple ever used in "our" realm of nylon strung instruments...it's abundant in electrics & semi's...
[i]"..what a buffoon/nice gut.."[/i]--kaski1
-2005 Jose "Pepe" Vergara 1A Flamenco SP/CY BRW
Old 03-09-2005, 02:59 AM

Hello

Ebony is the traditional wood used for fingerboards on all kind of stringed instruments. This is, as already mentioned, mainly due to it's hardness and because it makes visually a nice contrast with the guitartop and the frets.

My opinion about ebony is, that there are much better woods from the acoustic point of view. Just take a blank of brazilian rosewood and a blank of ebony and knok them. You will notice a big difference in the sonority of this two woods. Therefore i agree with Pepe, that brazilian is most probably the better choice. I have not yet built a guitar with a fretboard made of brazilian to be able to tell the difference, but the knoking indicates that Pepe is right.

However, ebony remains to be the tonewood favourized by most luthiers to build their better guitars. This is like an image thing. A top of the line guitar must have an ebony fretboard. This is expected by most buyers.

Armando
Old 03-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Gold Member

Default ..something else...ebony,with--...hhmmmnn..

.....ivory?nah never work.........eyes?nope..........wait,that's it! ebony bridge!...like on ALL "top of the line"......non-nylons & nylons alike....aaaaahhh!
[i]"..what a buffoon/nice gut.."[/i]--kaski1
-2005 Jose "Pepe" Vergara 1A Flamenco SP/CY BRW
Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 AM

advantages of indian rosewood vs. ebony: the indian rosewood is more stable in terms of hygroscopicity and is more colorful. it is also significantly cheaper.

I don't think it matters about the acoustic point of view and about sonority of the woods that Armando is talking about. The fingerboard is not involved in tone production. I sincerely doubt any claims to discernable differences in tone production of two identical instruments made with rosewood and ebony fingerboards.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:01 AM
Preferred Member

Yeah, what about that?? Ebony bridges? Steel strings have them, and I happen to have a Martin (C.F. that is) classical with a big 'ebony' bridge....
Old 03-09-2005, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deAlmeida
advantages of indian rosewood vs. ebony: the indian rosewood is more stable in terms of hygroscopicity and is more colorful. it is also significantly cheaper.

I don't think it matters about the acoustic point of view and about sonority of the woods that Armando is talking about. The fingerboard is not involved in tone production. I sincerely doubt any claims to discernable differences in tone production of two identical instruments made with rosewood and ebony fingerboards.
Hello DeAlmeida

I agree, that the fretboard is not a part that contributes to a large extend to the sound of the guitar, but in the electric guitar community it is doubtless that guitars with rosewood fingerboard sound sligtly different than tose with ebony fingerboards, so why this should not be the case with acoustic guitars? Of course we are talking about small nuances, but in my opinion a couple of small improvements can make a significant difference in an instrument.

regards

Armando