Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Contributor

Default Hijos de Vicente Tatay..any info?

Hi there,

I picked up a classical guitar from a junk shop the other day. I would really appreciate any info that anyone has on the following;
Fabrica de Guitarras Bandurrias y Laudes
Hijos de Vicente Tatay
Literato Azorin No 13
Valencia
Thats what it says on the sticker in the soundhole. I'm mainly interested in finding its age and what its made of. It definately all solid wood, I think its Spruce top, but the back and sides..I'm not sure..looks too light coloured to be Rosewood to me. I had no interest in classical guitar really, until I found this little baby, but I've really bonded with it and at the moment I'm playing it more than my steel strings..
Thanks in advance for any info on the maker or any tips on how to identify the wood its made of!

cheers

Shipjack
Old 10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Frequent Poster

The Tatay operation was founded by Vicente Tatay Alabau in 1889. He retired in 1942 and the shop was taken over by his sons Vicente and Jose Tatay Tomas. The name was changed to Hijos de (Sons of) Vicente Tatay around 1950.
The family workshop eventually developed into one of the larger factories in Spain. They currently produce around 40,000 instruments annually.

Tatay was never really known for producing high quality guitars although they did make some of the student guitars for Ramirez in the 1950s as well as instruments sold under other labels. They were also sold through the now long defunct Spanish Music Center in New York in the 1960s and 70s. It was operated by Gabriel Oller and was located in the lobby of the Hotel Belvedere.
I don't believe that they presently have a U.S. distributor.

I haven't seen a Tatay guitar in years but, to be totally honest, those that I had encountered in the past weren't anything special.
They probably turn up on eBay every so often.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

andrew tatay(grandson of vicente) just closed up shop on
long island a few years ago. they were there
for years-after n.y.c. one of his last
guitars was a sp/braz that had a haunting
sound similiar to a ram. 1a. sold it to me
for $800. andrew was a class act who didn't get
much respect-probably due to the fact there was an extensive low quality
student line from spain. his top of the line long island
guitars were lovely and a bargin. he also was a great repairman.
put a new fingerboard on my ioannou for $200.
used to love hanging around there on sat. mornings. oh well...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Frequent Poster

The Tatays were low end student guitars, but it used to be at one time the favorite student guitars for many teenage beguiners. To me these guitars mean a lot because it was my first guitar when I started my first guitar lessons. I remember I purshased it for $75.00 brand new from my teacher, and it lasted for many years until the termites ate it up, but at that time I had already developed a taste for better guitars, and upgraded with a Yamaha G255S. My Tatay had a solid spruce or pine top (3rd grade wood), and I belive that the back and sides were mahogany, but not sure if it was solid or laminated.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:18 AM
Contributor

Thanks for the info. Yes, there's eyesight in the fact that its is n't a piece of top quality workmanship..still, it cost me £3 so I'm not too bothered.
I was interested in the possibility that it could be a pine top rather than spruce, how could I tell that? Its certainly all solid wood, light brownish (coffee colour?..with milk!) back and sides.
Anyway, its turned me on to classical guitar..which I guess was possible its purpose in the first place

cheers

Lesley
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Well, how about a "pic"? Now, you've got me curious!--You sound like an experienced picker AND you've found perhaps a rare "gem"-a cheap but PLAYABLE guitar! That definitely IS a testament to the work of the company "Hijos..." Is the top and bridge area in good shape? Can you measure the "action" at the 12th fret any relay it back? Congrats Lesley!--Jubi p.s. are there any other "marks" i.e. serial/model numbers etc hidden on the inside as seen with an inspection mirror?(if "Hijos..." used them?)

YO BRI'!!! I remember about Andrew and his archives etc!!! Is he still active at all? What was his label?-Jubidubiduuuuuuuuu!!!
[i]"..what a buffoon/nice gut.."[/i]--kaski1
-2005 Jose "Pepe" Vergara 1A Flamenco SP/CY BRW
Old 10-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

Jubi-he retired while i was living in germany.
don't know where he is. my lable is a gold circle says tatay 1861 val. spain.
seen some old ones that were white background
and a colourful jester dancing with a lady.
pretty sure Lesleys isn't a long island n.y. one but who knows.........

check yer e'sssssssssssss
Old 10-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Contributor

Hi there,

I'd love to post a picture, but sadly I can't work out how...ah well, maybe I'll work it out eventually!
In the meantime, the action at the 12th fret is 5mm, compared to 3mm at the nut..not too bad I guess, the action certainly is n't causing me any problems.
No problems with the bridge at all..I'm pretty sure its a bone bridge and nut too..looking at it, inlaid rosette..
The only thing that lets it down appearance wise is that the varnish, or laquer on the top is so old that the slightest stratch with a fingernail or anything is currently leaving big white scratch marks..I guess there nothing much I can do about that..

cheers anyway, and I'll have a think about getting those photos uploaded

Lesley
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributor

Aha, I knew I'd get there in the end. I hope these links work. Anyone got any ideas about the wood? Any info much appreciated!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...guitar0005.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...guitar0002.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...guitar0004.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...guitar0042.jpg

cheers!

Lesley
Old 11-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Frequent Poster

The top appears to be a mediocre grade of spruce and the back and sides look like one of the mahogany type woods like khaya or sapele, very possibly laminated (plywood).
The fingerboard sort of looks like it might be rosewood or something similar but those brass frets and the rough workmanship are a sure sign of a lower end instrument.
I suppose it's worth the three GBP you paid for it. Maybe even four.