Guitar Salon International Forums  

Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

Default bowling and fingernails

ok, so i am posting this in the technique section but technique is what i need. i am a director of some programs in chicago which has about 20 employees--i.e., i am the boss of these folks. i suggested that we get together for an employee appreciation evening--the tab is on me--and the overwhelming desire by my staff is to go bowling. when i lived in boston bowling was not an issue--they use these tiny balls (no holes) and skinny pins. here in chicago bowling is bowling--balls with holes in them. so here is the rub: how does one bowl with fingernails? i have this horrible fear that an hour of bowling will result in 2-3 weeks of waiting for: a. nails to grow out due to filing them down way low or b. nails to grow out due to chipping and/or breakage.

so, the big question is: can one bowl and not break nails? if so, how. if not, i guess i am going to have to feign an injury to my hand to get out of it. somehow telling my staff that i cannot bowl in fear of breaking a nail will not go over well.

thanks for any ideas or tips.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:17 AM

Use a ball with holes much bigger than you might normally use,

and don't get drunk. Carelessness will get you faster and more thoroughly than anything else
Old 07-23-2006, 08:26 AM

Do not bowl!! It will rip your nails off. I avoid it as much as possible, but when its a must, I use my left hand. Sure, it makes me bowl like crap (not that I'm that much better with my right hand) but then I come home to my guitar and she makes it all better.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Become Left-Handed.......OR .........Right-Handed fer you Lefties....

~ 私は吸う!~
[/I][/B][/SIZE]
Old 07-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Frequent Poster

these are all good advice so far, but to go further in a much more difficult manner, you could learn to 'bowl with nails'. Start with a bigger holed ball and go very slow as you release the ball and pay a lot of attention to the sensation of the tips of your fingers, feel if they are hitting and how hard, slowly start to increase speed as you learn to reduce the nails hitting.

Also what I do, so I can play most sports is to learn to play guitar with 'shorter' nails, that way I get the sound I want, less breakage, be active in other sports. You know best, decide.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

I've bowled and had no problem with my nails. You might want to make sure they are filed to their minimum uselful length, as Section_10 posted above.
While I've had no nail problems, I HAVE had other problems, most notable, blisters. I get one right at the base of the thumb and it's quite painful - not at all conducive to guitar playing.
One other note - blisters and other injuries are more probable if you are using a ball with the wrong size holes. A ball with holes too large will cause you to have to grip the ball unnaturally tightly, and that's going to cause the blister.
How about shooting pool instead?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Preferred Member

Keith...

If you dwell on it you're going to have a mishap of some kind. First, if you don't already have a ball fitted properly (which you probably don't), you should select a house ball with a full finger grip. Insert the thumb first and then the fingers. If the span of the hole permits you to insert your middle and ring fingers so the first knuckle bends at the hole; you're off to the races. Next, make sure, as Marc pointed out, that the holes are neither too big or too small. Obviously too small is easy to detect. If they're too big, you will squeeze the ball. The blister won't show up on your fingers though. You'll develop a nasty blister on the inside of your thumb. Using a full finger grip means the nails will NOT be in danger. If you stretch the grip, where the fingers insert at the second (outer) joint...look out!

My BEST friend owns a balling pro shop. My wife and I have bowled for years. She has nails that would be the envy of every CG-ist and has NEVER broken or chipped a nail while bowling. Me...well let's just say the ball hangs on the tips of my fingers and I throw a gutter to gutter hook. Mucho horsepower!!! Yet another reason I went Tarrega!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Frequent Poster

I tore off my thumbnail the last time I bowled.....which is why that was the last time!

Go lefty.... and make sure you wear that wrist brace, without it your arm will hurt like a mofo after all the fun.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 AM
Gold Member

perf: it is the thumbnail i am concerned about--the nails on the fingers can be filed close and growing time would be in days whereas growing out the thumb nail would be measured in weeks. thanks for the info...i feel a sprained wrist coming on about the time of the bowling event.....damn bad luck i would say....
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributor

I suck at bowling, and I spent no time in adequately measuring a ball to my hand (I wouldn't have known how, anyway), I just grabbed one that felt good.

After 30 minutes my thumbnail was gone! It was a little too long, but I used to keep it longer back then, it was such a precious slow-growing commodity!

I bowl and do most other things (like reaching for a door handle) left handed now.

Your Mileage May Vary.[/b]