, whose playing has been called "superb" by the Washington Post " has quickly established himself as one of the up-and-coming performers on the guitar scene, brings us "Cinema Verismo". With brilliant performances of age-old classical selections, such as Alberniz' "Asturias" and Granados' "Danza Espanola No.5", along with beloved movie scores from "The Godfather", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", "Volver", "The Mission", "West Side Story" and "Chariots of Fire". Mak "displays a powerful expressive range in this highly inventive concert" which combines bravura, precision and deep expression.
Scott Tennant of LAGQ, was quoted as saying, "Grgić performs these film classics with a mastery that will make cinema buffs fall in love with the guitar, and make guitar fans fall in love with this recording." Grgić is a true lover of cinema, taking the listener down memory lane and bringing back beloved music used to highlight moments from film that for many are unforgettable. One will be astonished by the recording's flow and beauty as well as the striking quality of sound achieved on the variety of guitars used in this recording.
This album was recorded at Guitar Salon International
in Santa Monica, CA, with instruments from the GSI showroom. These include: 1989 Miguel Rodriguez, 1964 Arcangel Fernandez, 1966 Jose Ramirez, 1860 Antonio de Torres, 1956 Robert Bouchet, 1971 Daniel Friederich and a 1928 Francisco Simplicio.
1. Isaac Albeniz: Asturias (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
2. Pietro Mascagni: Intermezzo Sinfonico from Cavalleria Rusticana (Raging Bull)
3. Ennio Morricone: Gabriel’s Oboe (The Mission)
4. Vangelis: Chariots of Fire (Chariots of Fire)
5. J.S. Bach: Sheep May Safely Graze, BWV 208 (Rainbow)
6. Nino Rota: Godfather’s Waltz (The Godfather)
7. Alberto Iglesias: Volverino (Volver)
8. Leonard Bernstein: Somewhere/Tonight (West Side Story)
9. Enrique Granados: Danza Española No. 5 (Kika)
10. Tomaso Albinoni/Remo Giazotto: Adagio in G minor (Gallipoli)
11. J.S. Bach: Prelude from Cello Suite in G Major, BWV 1007 (Master and Commander)
12. Stanley Myers: Cavatina (The Deer Hunter)
13. J.S. Bach: Air on the G String, BWV 1068 (Se7en)
14. Ennio Morricone: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)